K-2 Basecamp Trek
K-2 Basecamp Trek and the Concordia area are perhaps the most famous areas on the Baltoro Glacier in all of Pakistan. Concordia is the junction of the Baltoro and Godwin Austin Glaciers and around Concordia are clustered some of the highest peaks in the world. These peaks include four of the world’s fourteen 8,000 meter peaks, as well as a number of famous lower peaks. Concordia offers the region’s best point for camping in front of the 4 giants of Karakoram and an ideal location for trekking for mountain enthusiasts not involved in climbing. With breathtaking views, Concordia offers short hikes to several important base camps, including K-2, (three hours), Broad Peak, (two hours) and the Gasherbrums, (three hours).
During the K-2 Basecamp Trek we will drive from Skardu the headquarter town of Baltistan, known as “Little Tibet”. This area offers a gateway for adventure lovers to the beautiful valleys of Shangri-La, “Heaven on Earth” to Askole, the last permanent village on the Braldu River and to the K-2 base camp, locally known as Choghori, the second highest peak on Earth. This is the real highlight for adventure lovers to enjoy the magnificence of this giant peak. Our K-2 Base Camp Trek takes you along the Braldu River and joins the Baltoro Glacier. Concordia, which is the confluence of Godwin Austin and Vigne Glaciers, offers the most commanding views of K-2, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum and many other peaks above 7,000 meters. This is an adventure beyond your imagination and the trip of a lifetime.
K-2 Base Camp Trek: Included
- Islamabad/Rawalpindi 04 nights, with bed & breakfast. Envoy/Shalimar/Royal Inn/Regency hotel.
- Hotel in Chilas 02 nights full board: Panorama/ Shangri-La/ Chilas Inn
- Hotel in Skardu 03 nights full board: Shangri-La Resort/Masherbrum Hotel/K2 Motel/Dewane Khas
Trekking permit and Official Formalities
- Trekking permit
- All documentation with Ministry of Tourism.
- Briefing and de-briefing
Food, Insurance, hotel accommodation in Chilas and Skardu. (same days as mentioned above for group members)
Taxes and Fees
The following fees and taxes are included in our quotation, for members, our crew and porters.
- Camping fees during trek
- Bridge crossing Fees.
- Cable Crossing Fees.
Note: in case of pollution made, fine by concerned authorities are not included.
We provide tourist class air-conditioned buses and vans for our clients in the cities and to the all accessible places; where there is not possible we provide 4×4 jeeps for transportation.
- Airport to hotel on arrival & hotel to airport on departure.
- Air-condition van from Islamabad, Skardu, Islamabad, and sightseeing in Islamabad etc.
- Both ways domestic air fare between Skardu & Islamabad (depending on weather conditions).
- 4×4 Jeep transportation from Skardu to Askoli and to Skardu or Hushe to Skardu.
- North Face VE 25 tents at the base camp (shared by two people).
- Toilet Tent.
- Mess Tent.
- Cooking pots.
- Table & chairs
- Kitchen utensils.
- Break Fast
- Tea, Green Tea, or coffee
- Soup before dinner
- Desert after dinner
K-2 Base Camp Trek: Staff
Daily wages, food, kit and equipment, Insurance, accommodation of following staff is included in the price.
- Mountain Guide
- Cook helper (above 5 members)
- Sirdar /Local guides on trekking
Note: Any helicopter rescue is not included in the price for staff as no company in Pakistan offers same.
In case you need invitation letter to get visa, we can either send the invitation letter from Us or we can get that from Ministry of Tourism to facilitate you.
Luggage and Cargo
We take care of your luggage if you send them in advance. Your luggage will be cleared and stored. Our offer does not include custom clearance changes.
- Clearance of Cargo before arrival.
- Documentation for export of your equipment.
- Storage of Equipment to our store until your arrival.
Porter’s food, camping equipment and climbing gear will be provided by us. Free baggage allowance for personal equipment and high altitude food is 75 kg while going up to base camp and 50 kg on way back after expedition
Kitchen utensils: Complete brand new kitchen utensils (crockery)
K-2 Base Camp Trek: Menu
Below is list of major items we provide in breakfast with a combination of four or five items a day not all at once.
- Corn Flacks
- Eggs (Omelettes/Fried or according to demand)
- Paratha (local form of bread)
- Black tea
- Milk etc.
Bellow is list of major items we provide in lunch with a combination of four or five items a day during trekking not all at once. At the base camp one dish of curry (check in dinner menu) with rice or macaroni or spaghettis plus chapatti will be proved.
- Sardine Fish
- Peanut butter
- Tuna Fish
- Cookies Sweet
- Cookies Saltish
- Dry Fruit
- Tin Fruit
- Green tea/Mixed tea
- Tang etc.
You will get a complete dinner with a soup, two curries plus rice or Spaghetti or Macaroni. There will be a desert, green tea and coffee as well according to requirement of our valued guest.
- Rice in different varieties
- Meat (Mutton & Beef)
- Different variety of pulses
- Fresh vegetables
- Backed beans
- Green peas
- Green tea etc.
- Welcome reception (briefing)/farewell meeting (debriefing) at Alpine Club of Pakistan.
- Domestic flights between Islamabad- Skardu- Islamabad
- Assist to deposit fee and obtain trekking permit
- Tips for baggage handling at airport & at hotels
- Process of import/export permit from ministry of tourism.
- Clearance of cargo before arrival of the team and its storage.
- Road transfers between airport/hotel and within city as per itinerary.
- Sleeping tents, mattresses, mess tent, kitchen tent and toilet tent with tables/chairs and camping ground fees.
- Kitchen equipment, crockery, cutlery, fuel and related community gear.
- Wages and basic kit of mountain guide, sirdar, cook and assistant(s).
- Insurance of our field staff and low altitude porters (except helicopter rescue).
- Porterage at airports, hotels, toll taxes and parking fee etc.
- International flights tickets re-confirmation
- Above quotation is based on present porter rates and subject to revise.
K-2 Basecamp Trek: Not included
- Single supplement $250.00 USD per single.
- If need extra low altitude porters $110.00 USD per porter.
- Helicopter charges $6,000.00 USD in case of use for rescue.
- Transfers to and from airports for participants making individual air arrangements.
- Optional excursions or deviations from the scheduled tour.
- Sleeping bag and all personal expenses such as telephone, fax, email charges, liquor or soft drinks.
- Room service, gratuities for personal services, items of a purely personal nature, International airfare, airport tax, excess baggage charges.
- Any other service not mentioned in this condition sheet.
Arrive at Islamabad airport transfer to hotel. After refreshment welfare meetings with Alpine club of Pakistan, Afternoon city tour of Rawalpindi and Islamabad
Rawalpindi is a lively, bustling city with the crowded streets and colorful bazaars, thorough it lacks the grand monuments; nonetheless, the bazaar should appeal to anyone with the desire to see the real Pakistan.
Islamabad is new capital 36 years old well-planed city of Pakistan is lush green at the footsteps of potwar hills. Visit one of the biggest Shah Faisal mosques in the world; also an interesting round trip combines a tour of Shakespearian Park with a visit to Lok versa, the institute of Folk and Traditional Heritage.
Drive to Chilas on Karakorum highway 11-12 hrs 461km, overnight at hotel
Karakorum high way is 8th wonder of the world. The Karakorum Highway was constructed jointly by the Chinese and Pakistanis, begun in 1960s and finally constructed in 1976,s as a link road between Pakistan and China. It is an engineering wonder, but at the cost of many lives.
Drive to Skardu along with Indus River 8-9hrs 290km, overnight at hotel
Drive to Askoli by jeeps via Shigar valley 6-7hrs 3000m. Overnight in camp
It is spectacular drive from Skardu to Askoli; the jeep road crosses the Braldu River three times and passes the villages of Dassu, Apligon, Pakora, Hoto chongo and Thongal. There are hot Sulphur Springs just 20 minutes behind Thongal. Around the hot springs are copper colored stones known as Limpi Kiser (Kiser Fort) King Kiser was a mythical ruler with magical powers- dozens of legends tell of his exploits in Baltistan, Nagar and Hunza valley.
Trek to Jhola 6-7hrs 18km 3200m, overnight in camp. The early morning light finds us beginning our trek as the Loads are distributed among the porters. Walking along the Braldu River, We pass the town of Askoli after about an hour. Another three hours’ walk brings us to the Biafo Glacier. It takes 3 to 4hrs from Askoli to Korofoung at 3100m. continue trek to Jhola (4-5 hrs) you have panoramic view of Bakhor Das peak 5809m) also mighty Biafo Glacier. Follow the riverside trail to the confluence of the Biafo and Dumordo rivers. Cross the formidable Domordo River at Jhola which flows from the Panmah glaciers Camp at Jhola at 3200m.
Trek to Paiyu 6-7-hrs 16.6km 3450m, overnight in camp. This is an undulating walk, difficult at times, with the first views of dramatic mountains ahead. There is a rest stop by some tamarisk trees beside the stream flowing down from Paiyu Peak, where we saw ibex tracks and fox spore. The trail climbs to a vantage point from which you see the snout of Baltoro Glacier and, in the far distance, a magnificent panorama of the Cathedral Towers and, left of them, the unmistakable triangle of K2.
Trek to Urdukas 6-7hrs 15.9km 4050m. Overnight in camp
Beautiful views of Great Trango & Uli Biaho Towers. The tail traverses the glacier angling gently towards its southeast margin. Exit the glacier in to the ablation valley at Liligo. The route alternates between the lateral moraine and the glacier, heading out on the glacier to avoid the outflow from the advancing Liligo glacier. Continue trek to Urdukas, named for the obvious split boulder. Camp with its extraordinary views of Paiyu Peak 6610m, Uli Biaho 6417m, Great Trango Tower 6286m, Lobsang Spire 5707m & the Cathedral Towers.
Trek to Goro-II 5-6 hrs 12.1km 4,380m. Have a spectacular view of Masherbrum 7821m & Muztagh Tower 7,284m. Overnight in camp
Trek to Concordia 4-5hrs 9.2km 4650m. Overnight in camp
Today it is golden opportunity to see 7000m to above 8000m peaks including mighty K-2 (8611m) Broad Peak 8047m, G-I 8068m, G-II 8035m, Sia Kangri 7422m, Muztagh Tower 7284m, G-IV 7925m, Miter Peak 6025m Golden Throne 7240m.
Full day excursion to K-2 Base Camp and back to Concordia, K-2 is locally known by the name of “Chogori” which means ” The Great Mountain ” 8611m, is the 2nd highest mountain in the world. K2 is placed on the Pakistan-China border in the mighty Karakorum Range. K-2 is rocky mountain up to 6,000m, beyond, which it becomes an ocean of snow. K-2 was firstly discovered and measured by the survey of India in 1856, and first named for English topographer Henry Godwin-Austen, who explored and surveyed the region and it was firstly climbed on July 31, 1954 by Italian climbers team lead by Ardito Desio and accompanying him were Lino Lachdelli and Achille Compagnoni.
Trek back to Urdukas
Trek back to Askoli Village
Drive to Skardu 5-6hrs
Fly to Islamabad incase of flight cancellation drive to Chilas by Karakorum highway 8-9hrs. Overnight at hotel
Free day in Islamabad or drive from Chilas to Islamabad 11-12 hrs. Overnight at hotel
Morning farewell meeting with Alpine Club, afternoon free for shopping, overnight at hotel
Transfer to Islamabad Airport for International Flight